Looking at the last post, its been just over two years since I’ve posted, and reading an update from my friend Ryan about ‘What Do You Want’ inspired me to write-down a few things, this post will be an Update, the next my answer to What Do I Want.
In the last two years I have:
- Increased the family size
- August 10, 2015 Natalie and I welcomed another girl to our brood. Kennedy joined us and over the last 15 months have figured out that all children are different, Kenna is nuts!
- Natalie Stays Home
- January 2016, we decided that it would be beneficial if Natalie stayed home for a bit and focused on the kids. For the entirety of this year, she has done just that, and the kids are excelling on every avenue. I couldn’t be happier with the results.
- Ran a Half Marathon
- February 2016- I ran the Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon. My goal was 2:10 and I hit 2:17 (i think) I hit the wall around 10 miles, and I blame that on waiting on my friend Renee do his business around mile 7, standing around for 6-7 minutes was not a good idea and it caused me to seriously freeze up. Will try again next year.
- Remodeling the House
- February 2016 – Lets open up the kitchen, knock down some walls and see what it looks like. As of last week, I have permits and can start closing up the walls. Progress pics here
- Tried out for Microsoft
- I thought about not adding this but I think its important as part of the story. A friend invited me to interview for a Premier Field Engineering role at Microsoft, to which I interviewed. Feedback indicated I was technically sound but didn’t have enough experience working with a team, which is baffling as I built the entire DBA team at my current gig. I think the Army guy interviewing didn’t like that I was a Marine. Not getting this was a blessing in disguise.
- Lost Job
- June 2016 – The company I was previously working was bought just 3 months after I joined, hired a new CTO, and completely restructured the company, in the end shutting down the Tampa office, which was quite unfortunate, but I learned a great deal about my self during that time and hopefully can continue to grow from those experiences.
- Started New Job
- July 2016 – I started a new job as database consultant for Taos. I’m currently engaged in a multi-datacenter consolidation effort in which I am in charge of MSSQL and MySQL. Brushing up on MySQL skills has been refreshing as its also brushing up on my Linux skills, which will set me up to take a look at Oracle in the future. This position is work-from-home, which is awesome, since I get to see the girls throughout the day.
- Started College…Again
- I found a college that works well for professionals who can work at their own pace. Western Governors University is working well for me thus far. I was able to transfer some old USf credits as well as my Microsoft Certs in for credit. In the last 4 months, I have been able to knock out 29 credits. I have 2 months left in this semester and would like to knock out 4 more classes which is quite doable.
These are the major items that have come and gone since I’ve last posted. Stay tuned for the next update, which I’ll add some short term goals I’m looking at.